The NHL is refusing to buy the Los Angeles Kings, saying that “inappropriate conduct” is the reason behind its decision.
NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman addressed the issue in a conference call with reporters on Tuesday, saying the league was made aware of an issue involving a reporter that involved the Los Angeles Kings.
“It was a story that involved a reporter with whom we had an agreement, who was fired from a newspaper, who we did not know and who we had never worked with,” Bettman said.
Bettman also said he had not seen the Los Angles Kings’ video of the incident and had no information about how long the reporter was fired.
Bettman also defended his team’s handling of the situation, saying there was no collusion between the Kings and the reporter.
“It’s really a matter of fairness.
The fact that the reporter left the newspaper, I’m not sure about that,” Bettson said.
“We don’t know what the terms of that agreement were.
But it was a news organization, and the facts are there that it was inappropriate conduct.”
The Kings issued a statement saying they are “committed to fair and impartial reporting.”
“We’ve had a very good relationship with the Los Angels Kings for years,” the statement read.
“The newsroom at the Kings was completely different from our newsroom with other reporters and editors.
In addition, the team was very responsive and transparent in their communication to the press.
The Los Angeles Times has reported that a former employee of the Kings wrote the story about our former reporter and that they did so without disclosing his name.
The Kings and Los Angeles Police Department did not make it clear that the former employee’s name was involved.”
In addition to the incident in Los Angeles, Bettman acknowledged the Kings’ lack of progress in hiring and developing a newsroom.
Bettson also defended the decision to hire longtime investigative reporter Brian Rolston to cover the Kings.
Rolston, a longtime Los Angeles television news anchor who had worked for ABC News and Fox News before joining the NHL in 2012, said in a statement that he had been terminated from The Los Angls Times because of his coverage of the Los Kings’ team activities.
Rolstons account of the events was not included in the Kings statement.
The Kings’ statement did not specify what information was used by the reporter, or whether he had requested anonymity.
After the Kings were notified of the issue on Monday, they responded with a written statement from the Kings president and CEO, Mike Gillis, saying “no matter how the story is described or perceived, there is no way to independently verify the account.”
The statement went on to say that the Kings have a “long and proud history of reporting on the games, on our players, on the organization and on our fans.”
The NHL’s statement to the media on Tuesday came days after the league announced it would be reviewing its policies regarding the handling of allegations of inappropriate conduct in the newsrooms of major U.S. sports teams.
In April, Bettzons office released a memo that outlined the league’s policies regarding how it investigates allegations of misconduct in the media.
In the memo, Bettmans office said that the league had launched an investigation of a reporter in New York City and had spoken with the person involved, and that he would be subject to disciplinary action if he violated the leagues code of conduct.
Bettzonss memo also addressed a recent incident in which the league suspended two employees after a former player was accused of a sexual assault and battery.